Saturday 16 June 2012

Jammin' with Lychees


I've tried to make jam a few times. Each time I was left with a pan of unappealing, sloppy and/or burnt (don't ask), gloop. We were recently given a copy of The Basic Basics Jams, Preserves and Chutneys written by Marguerite Patten, so I decided to give jam making another try. 

There's a very detailed chapter entitled 'Golden Rules for Success'. Eager to avoid another jam making disaster, I read this carefully. The book has recipes for just about any kind of jam you could ever image and I can't wait to try out more. I particularly like the sound of apple and rhubarb jam. 


My previous attempts all involved large quantities of fruit and plenty of peeling and chopping. This time I took the easy option and used tinned fruit. No peeling, no chopping. Just tin opening and draining required, plus some preserving sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice. 

Remarkably, within just twenty minutes I had my first jam making success! It tastes great and I can't wait to use it in some form of baked goods. Lemon and lychee cake... lychee jam tarts...  ? I'd love to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment